Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160

To: topband@contesting.com <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: JA's came in droves today on 160
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 10:11:31 -0500
Terry makes the crucial point: FT8 (and the likes) should be in a different class. Other hobbies do that: sailboats don't race against power boats, etc. I don't think that there is much point arguing whether FT8 is Amateur Radio or not. It is. I don't care for it, but I have been involved with enough FT8 efforts to see that it has many aspects of what we call Amateur Radio. FT8 has its place by attracting a different cohort of operators. It is also true that it requires less effort, but that suits some people just fine. (Many FT8 operators watch movies, are on the Internet, etc., while working FT8.) It is lamentable that often when the CW segment is empty, the FT8 segment is busy. But that is not the fault of the FT8 operators. Regardless, CW is alive and well: witness the CQ160 CW contest. It was super busy (most of the time) and far more exciting than FT8 ever will be.

73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:59:06 -0800 (PST)