Re: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 10:05:06 -0500
Mike, you are buying into a myth that both supporters and detractors of FT8
perpetuate. The myth that FT8 is superior for DX'ing, to other modes.

2018 was my "year of FT8". I participated in several on-air WSJT new
feature tests including DXpedition mode testing. I spent the vast majority
of my on-air hours, outside of contests, on FT8. I CQ'd a lot on FT8 and
also chased DX on FT8.

You ask: " Productive in what way?  To work new ones? ". I specifically
checked by 2018 log statistics for new band slots. I worked 4 new band
slots on 160M in 2018 - zero on FT8. I worked 13 new ones on 80M in 2018 -
none on FT8. I worked 5 new ones on 40M in 2018 - none on FT8. And so on.

You also ask: "How many countries did you work on FT8 that you did not or
could not work on any other mode." My answer: I worked 4 ATNO's in 2018.
None did I need FT8 to confirm.

Now, I did work 13 of DXpeditions in 2018 for new digital mode DXCC credit
in 2018. If I look at these stats, 8 of them I worked on RTTY, and 5 I
worked on FT8. But the ones I worked on FT8 completely neglected RTTY -
they never did any RTTY at all or made only a handful of RTTY Q's. I'm sure
I could've completed a RTTY QSO with any of those 5 if they had made an
effort on RTTY.

No matter how I slice it or dice it, FT8 is not a superior mode. Both the
detractors and supporters of FT8 are suffering from the myth that FT8 makes
DX'ing easier. It does not. I tried hard to max out FT8 using any
quantitative measure in 2018 - just look at the number of hours I invested
- and FT8 came up short in every single measure, including the
hard-DX-oriented measures you propose.

Tim N3QE