Re: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 12:43:36 -0600
Tim, My take on the popularity is explained this way.  FT8 has an SNR advantage over CW of around 5 dB, PSK31 - about 10 dB and SSB of more than 15 dB.  So for a given set of link conditions, FT8 result in a Q in the log more often than the other modes.

Add in the poor prop conditions and lousy antenna situations and you have a handy way to up the odds of a DX contact for the average Joe Ham.  And the average Joe Ham on FT8 (my guess) is more likely a SSB op where the compare is more impressive than the CW-VS FT8 meaning that coming from SSB, FT8 gives a pretty big relative improvement in working the weak ones.

I think FT8 is like any other mode - it's got it's areas of merit and it's areas of difficulty.  FT8 brings a nice low SNR capability, the occupied BW is tiny and the software minimizes required operator skill.  On the other hand, the conversation contents and pace is 100% scripted.  Like classic modes RTTY, AM, SSB & CW, FT8 has it's place.  FT8 is a great knife to bring to a knife fight.  But it's not the be all, end all of modes. [Pactor 4 is, of course.  ha ha.]

See you in the RTTY WPX next weekend.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com