Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FT8 vs other modes - my numbers.
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 18:07:10 -0500
Tim,

You wrote in your reply to Mike, W0MU:

>...you are buying into a myth that both supporters and detractors of FT8 perpetuate. The myth that FT8 is superior for DX'ing, to other modes.

With all due respect, I think you are 'buying' into the 'red herring' that some are using to 'bad mouth' the mode.

Skilled operators like you, operators with above average stations, will not benefit from FT8 as much, at least on HF.

I think Jeff, AC0C summarized it best when he wrote:

>Add in the poor prop conditions and lousy antenna situations and you have a handy way to up the odds of a DX contact for the average Joe Ham. And the average Joe Ham on FT8 (my guess) is more likely a SSB op where the compare is more impressive than the CW-VS FT8 meaning that coming from SSB, FT8 gives a pretty big relative improvement in working the weak ones.

I am the Joe Ham! I don't claim to be as skilled as you and others, and I don't have a very good station. The limitation is mostly 'logistical', but also financial. In addition to those, my radio time is limited. I, Joe Ham, am the main beneficiary of the mode.

The hatred you see around is not because skilled operators, with well equipped stations, are/are not benefiting from FT8. It's because Joe Ham has a chance to work a few of the difficult entities they had to sweat blood and tears to work just a couple of years ago.

I'll not get into the 'instant gratification-no hard work' thing, another silliness being 'advanced' by detractors.

For you, and others in a similar situation, FT8 will be useful only when the DX will not work, or not work enough, SSB/CW/RTTY, but you figured that one out already.

Regards,

Vince, VA3VF