Topband: Fwd: V84SAA QSL- some additional thoughts...

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Fwd: V84SAA QSL- some additional thoughts...
From: k1zm--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 08:07:07 +0000 (UTC)

From: k1zm@aol.com
To: daraymond@iowatelecom.net
Sent: 2019-04-18 8:05:23 AM Coordinated Universal Time
Subject: Re: Topband: V84SAA QSL- some additional thoughts...

Hi DAVE and 160m friends.
I happened to see this email this morning and I thought I might like to comment.
As far as I know - there is no ***requirement*** to make a donation to receive
a V84SAA confirmation - but I do think I remember hearing that for those that
DO, confirmation would be more immediate.  This is how many dx'peditions are
handling things these days because they are hoping to receive some funds after
the fact in order to offset the huge expenses of putting a major dx'pedition
like V84SAA on the air.
Operations USUALLY WAIT a period of time (often 6 months as I recall) to do
MASS LOTW updates because, quite honestly, they are hoping for some donations
from those who want a more immediate confirmation.
Now let me also say that I personally have nothing to do with the qsl side of
this - I just WORKED GUYS with a Topband focus while I was there - HI.  I was
there at every NA opening (except for one) when personal circumstances
prevented me from being there and S55M covered for me that night.
However, as an insider, I can also add that the team had to shoulder an out of
pocket expense of $47,000 USD to make this happen - and that this was **over
and above** the team member contributions to do this one that were collected
from each V84SAA participant.
So please do understand that these things don't just happen - somehow they have
to be paid for....and also forgive me if some out there think that having a
policy of providing an EARLY confirmation also asks for a modest contribution
is asking too much - nonsense is my opinion.
As I understand it, a general LOTW update will follow - and cards can be had
from an application to LZ1JZ at any time.
73 JEFF   K1ZM
In a message dated 2019-04-18 1:17:42 AM Coordinated Universal Time,