Re: Topband: 160

To: Ed Sawyer <sawyered@earthlink.net>, Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160
From: Hans Hjelmström <sm6cvx@hjelmstrom.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 13:10:58 +0200
Agree 100 % with  Ed N1UR.
Its the same situation on 6 meters. Most expeditions go ONLY FT 8 nowadays.It
gives more QSO:s ,it looks like.And more or less no options to find good
openings on old modes.

I will never go FT 8 , because I feel, many many QSO on FT 8 , you do not hear
anything
in your own ears from the station you,,,,work..  I understand there is many
many with
also big audio making qso between each others on FT 8,  BUT also even more
making
,,,,qso ,,, without hearing anything. You need ,,,according to me,,, no
efforts, no challenge,
and no human touch to each others.  Most times, there is a completely empty band
on both 6 and 160….BUT people do a lot of connections with their computers,
handling the traffic.   IF only arrl, did not allow connections below 0 db in
any band dxcc,
and had a separate FT 8 ( unheard signals connection ) award ,that should solve
a lot.
I asked them about this possibility about 2 years ago,and only got a very
arrogant
answer, on a fair question.

Last thing. What will happen, when authorities  find out, that Ham radio only
need a
few few kc:s in future. Probably we will loose most of our bands of today.

In 20 years from now, also ,, CW is gone for ever. Any newcomers to our so
loved
hobby, do not need to make that effort to try and learn CW.They will play
a computer game instead.Probably they will not do that for 50 years as we did.
They probably get bored within a few years.

Finally, of course,  everyone do what they prefer. This discussion is ONLY ment
to put light on the  possible future for our hobby,and how is best for us Hams
and clubs ( like arrl )  how to handle it.How should we adjust our hobby for
the best.?

Absolutely no bad feelings for these doing FT 8, BUT  I think it will kill our
hobby.

Kind regards
Hans SM6CVX