Re: Topband: 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 15:08:15 -0700
Sounds good to me.

I would add that I have made some FT-8 QSOs, mostly on the day it arrived and before I grasped the implications, but also some more recently.  That said, although I am uploading to LoTW for my QSO partners' use, I am not using them for credit for any awards. This suits my personal ethical position.  I have a DXCC certificate that says, "RTTY" on it and RTTY contacts are the only ones I will submit for credits.  Once again, this is the way I choose to do it; others are free to march to their drummer, just as they are free to run excess power, use remote stations in a different time zone, have their buddies work new ones for them to keep their status on the "Honor Roll" and so forth.  I don't care.

As I have been known to contribute to individual DXpeditions as well as supporting NCDXF and INDEXA, I've obviously made it onto a "list" and from time to time receive requests for donations.  A couple of these leap to mind.  One, from an EU ham headed to a Pacific isle, bragged about how, even as a single op, he was going to have a station on 24/7 making QSOs.  I don't think it necessary, but I will say, "No Deal" and no QSOs with me.  A more recent one is also going to a rare Pacific isle and is looking for money and operators skilled in FT-8 F/H.  I'm not sure exactly what skill is required but that's the way it goes. If they run a good operation and can fill in some slots on CW, SSB or RTTY for me, I'll send a few bucks, but it will be after the fact.

In terms of DXpeditions, it should be remembered they need to work us.  Their reason for going is to make Qs and a lot of them.  If no one works them on FT-8, they'll try CW or some other mode.

My $0.02

Wes  N7WS