Re: Topband: An oddball question about a BOG.

Subject: Re: Topband: An oddball question about a BOG.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 20:28:31 -0700
ZL3IX I think by accident had a fence with a break in it. My not working Beverage was 4'up over a continuous welded wire fence. Then some NEC2 modeling of a 600' Beverage 6' above a continuous 3 wire (wires at 2,3, & 4') barb wire fence, showed poor F/B. Mine was worse over the welded 6"x 6" mesh fence (it's been a while but I recall none). Some NEC2 modeling (just re-confirmed with NEC4) showed that breaking the fence into three 200 ft insulated sections, for the length of the Beverage solved the problem. More fence continuing off the ends didn't matter. I didn't build it before I moved.

Having seen a good selection of barb wire fences, many probably don't have electrical continuity, including many of mine. Since there seems to be wide agreement and sound engineering reasons that Beverages don't work over high conductivity ground, so I trust that modeling.

Regarding NEC not working near the the ground, the EZNEC manual claims NEC2 is ok within a few wire diameters. Neither NEC2 or 4 will work really close to or with any part of the wire in the ground plane.

N6LF did some very nice work confirming how NEC4 was accurate for buried wires with some very good experimental data. He includes some comments about ground variability.
https://rudys.typepad.com/files/qexjul-aug-2016-bog.pdf

Re MikeK's adventure with loading inductor permeability made variable with DC current bias of the B-H curve, I think it's an interesting idea. I suspected he was trying to do that and hope he finds a way to make it work.

Grant KZ1W