Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance

To: Clive GM3POI <clive@gm3poi.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 12:52:18 -0400
Just remembered one other thing, the hours I use are SOLAR noon to SOLAR 2
pm. Where I live daylight time 10 am is 9 am standard time, and 8:50 am
Solar time.  In Lexington, Ky, USA that would be 8:23 AM. So during summer,
I wait until 1 pm to measure. HOWEVER...

Even then there can be residual propagation. I send a test CQ at 1.5 kw,
and look at what pops up on RBN. If it only hits W4KAZ, I'm fine. If I hit
KC4YVA, 149 miles away in Richmond, VA, I know there is reduced absorption
and the reading to KAZ could be affected. There have been days when at 2 pm
solar I was hitting YVA at 20 dB. Most days at 8:30 am solar, I'm still
hitting RBN's in Ohio over 400 miles away. So you can't just do it any day
at a certain time. You have to test for sky wave first.

73, Guy K2AV