Re: Topband: Computer noise

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Computer noise
From: YL2VW <yl2vw@lral.lv>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 15:59:16 +0200
Hi

I suggest checking if there is good electrical contact between the metal
casing of the PC power supply unit (PSU) and the computer metal case itself
- scratch off the case painting under screws keeping both of them together
to provide better contact.
I had terrible RFI from my freshly assembled shack PC this August. And
while experimenting with extra grounding it to get rid of RFI, for my
surprise I discovered that noise goes away by ~95% when I mess with case
screws. Then I scratched the case painting off below the screws and noise
was almost gone. I assume if it would be in neighbors house, I wouldn't
feel it anymore then.
However, there still were some weak RFI birdies here and there (60 Hz
spacing approx), and as it was meant to be my HAM shack PC, I could not
live with idea that I add extra noise on top of existing neighbor's crap.
So I just replaced the PSU to another one I got for free after asking
friends around, and luckily no more RFI issues from this PC.

The RFI generating PSU was brand-new "Be Quiet! System Power 9 500W" (I
find the name ironical for a PSU generating RFI). The good one had Chieftec
label. Both of them are kind of "made in China, quality controlled in
Germany".

73!
Agris/YL2VW