Topband: Computer noise

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Computer noise
From: "Rodman, David" <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 11:41:21 +0000
A few ideas might be helpful here.  I was at the station over the weekend and
found a significant amount of noise coming from one of two computers in the
station.  Significant noise S5 at 1820.  One computer runs the cluster and 2m
connection.  That was clean.  The other handles most of the remote chores and
has about 15 USB serial devices attached.  Everything was off, except a battery
operated transceiver attached to the receive antenna feed, the modem for the
cable and my router.  One can definitely see that operating the computer,
closing windows or plugging in USB devices causes the modulation on the signal
to change, this isolating the source to the computer alone and possible
connections to peripherals (they were all turned off by the way).  I did have
few chokes available but attaching them to the USB wires out of the computer to
their various devices made no improvement.  I could get more specific but need
to leave for my office now.  Any ideas might be helpful and appreciat
 ed.

---
David J Rodman MD
Assistant Clinical Professor