Topband: Topband resource

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband resource
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 21:05:27 -0800
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:58:57 +0000 (UTC)
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband resource

<W8JI's experience with a horizontal dipole at 300 ft is often quoted as proof
that only vertical antennas are useful for 160m DX. This is not my experience
with a dipole with the centre at 320 ft and the ends at over 250'. In its
favoured directions it is equal to a <W4RNL half wave vertical array over a
very large radial system. It is unsurprisingly not as good off the ends, and
quite is useless for relatively local communications.
<I am also inclined to support Roger, G3YRO, in his use of a low dipole, having
myself successfully used relatively low horizontal antennas for DX in the past.
There are most certainly times when higher angles are useful for DX - and
possibly more frequently than <we imagine. There actually have to be, otherwise
Roger would never work any DX at all. Note, this does not mean that a good
vertical antenna is not often or even usually better than a low horizontal one.
Finally, the UK is small compared to many other <countries, but it is not
actually a tiny island. Roger's path to North America is over about 300 km of
land, and he is more than 10km from the sea in any direction.

<73 RogerVE3ZI/G3RBP

##  AFAIK,   W8JIs..  dipole  was  actually an  inverted   vee,  with the  apex
at  300  feet....with  no  info  on  enclosed  angle.
Per  the  older  arrl  ant  books,  Inverted   vees...with a 90  deg  enclosed
angle  are  omni directional.
But  they  conducted  that  test  on  80m,  with an  inverted  vee    up  60
feet,  with a 90  deg  enclosed  angle.  The  vee  was  rotated 90  degs....
and  signals  900  miles  away  did  not  change.  No  mention  whether a real
CM  balun  was  used.

##  Plenty  of 80m  rotary  dipoles and  80m  yagis that  perform
exceptionally well..at  heights  of 100-150  ft.   That  would  extrapolate to
 200-300  ft
on  160m.    Years ago,  a fellow In  Ore  had  installed   the  1st  F12
160   rotary  dipole....  which  I  believe was  up aprx  120  ft.     His  1st
 contact
was a 4X4.   Several  folks  with  2 el....shorty 40 yagis  up  70  ft,  report
 that  the  shorty  40  yagi ate  their   40m  4  squares  hands  down.
Some  have  had  great  success  with  a half  wave  sloper......used in
conjunction  with a delta  loop  reflector...apex  up.   In  some  cases, a
half  wave  sloper
was  used  on  either  side of  the  delta  loop  REF.   So 2 switchable
directions  were  obtained.

Jim   VE7RF