Topband: Topband resource

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband resource
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 19:13:43 +0000
   And from the Northwest I have a slightly different observation of
horizontal/vertical questions. What I have noticed is this. I more or less
equate Horizontal antennas with high angle and vertical with low. The EU
stations are usually mostly looking West into the setting sun. The East coast
stations are looking into the total darkness toward EU mostly. Here in the
Northwest we look into darkness toward EU and the East coast. I mention this
because observations of high angle signals are VERY rare looking East toward
EU. Maybe twice in 10 years. However looking West toward the setting sun and JA
and UA0 I often see signals start early on the low angle vertical antennas and
progress toward high angle signals in a same setting. The low horizontal takes
over as the signals apparently get to a higher angle. I am about 200 miles from
the Pacific. I have on my project list (way way down it) to build a high angle,
low elevation horizontal array with a high RDF and gain just to see what it
would do. Unfortunately it stays way down the list.
   For me Frank LPL says it all " You can never have too many antennas...
Unless they interfere with each other, a non-trivial issue."
Lee   K7TJR   OR

It's more than antennas. There's also propagation. You're 700 miles ESE of me,
which gives you a path to EU over less of the auroral zone.

AND there's noise, which has been increasing over time. My first years in W6
were more productive for CW on Topband than now -- I have a dozen or so
countries in the log from the solar minimum of those earlier years.

73, Jim K9YC