Re: Topband: 4SQ Arrays in proximity

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4SQ Arrays in proximity
From: Mpridesti via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:43:28 -0500
I had heard several negative mentions of placing an 80 m system inside a 160 m
4 square.  At my place, I placed my 80 m 4 SQ northeast of my 160 m 4 SQ.
Closest elements are 75 feet away. Thinking I might get some negative
interaction, I took K3LR’s suggest of opening the feed points of the 80 m array
while I am using 160. Built a relay box that shorted the cable ends (1/4 wave
75 ohm lines) so electrically opened the feed points. Pretty simple.

Then spent a lot of time listening to WebSDR receivers in EU and switched that
relay box on/off to see if I saw any gain variation with the 160 antenna. I saw
no difference. However I have found a very slight improvement in F/B or F/S
when the 80 m array was open circuited (shorting relays engaged).

On the flip side of this, I have not seen any impact on 80 to the SW as I beam
through the 160 array. I have reference antennas on each band to check array
performance.

I continue to experiment on 160 - fun retirement project with lots of exercise!

Seems array interaction varies with different stations.  I did not model my
setup.

Regards,

Mark, K1RX