Re: Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....

To: Carl Luetzelschwab <carlluetzelschwab@gmail.com>, topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 01:53:54 +0000
Hello Carl

    All very interesting! I still see a huge increase in distances as nightfall moves in, but all of the extremely distant stations are picked up at the upper end of the NDB allocation close to 400 kHz. During the day a good haul is Schenectady, NY to the west. For 25 watts that is a good overland distance. At night I hear maybe another 200 miles into Ontario. Once you go above 400 kHz, things change and I start hearing stations much farther away at night. IY in Iowa also with 25 watts at 417 kHz has a pretty fair signal at night and is in audible during the day.  I will do some more listening in the 200 khz range to see if I can hear more distant stations during daylight. DIW in Dixon NC is on 198 kHz, but it is running QRO so that can be heard a long way off. Thanks for the information. This sure is fun.

73

Dave K1WHS