Re: Topband: .TX Mica Caps

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: .TX Mica Caps
From: Roy Morgan <k1lky68@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 19:55:49 -0500
> On Feb 7, 2020, at 10:44 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
> wrote:
>
> Probably confusing it with PCB oil filled caps.
> PCB oil actually is hazardous.

Ok time to beat this dead horse again.  Very scant warnings abound with little
reliable information accompanying them.

Does anyone have GOOD information about:

UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS IS PCB OIL HAZARDOUS??

-It catches on fire and fills the transformer vault with thick smoke when the
monster transformer melts down?
-When a few drops leak out of a filter capacitor in one of our radios or
transmitters?
-If an electrician working on very big transformers puts his arm down in the
oil to make connections and does it for some years?
-If I have a dozen 1000 and 2000 volt oil capacitors in a box in my barn?
-If my BC-779 power supply has six oil capacitors in it that have not and
likely never will leak?
-If my want list has the RCA AR-88 on it which has oil filter caps?

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@gmail.com