Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 13:35:58 -0600
I have to respectfully but strongly disagree, *except* for the part about
durability. He uses two parallel wires instead of that floppy twin lead and
ladder line. My Beverages are also made from two wires, except mine are
much closer spaced. They have been up for over 10 years.

I bought Misek's book years ago, and it contains a lot of myths (for lack
of a better expression). Just search the Topband Archives for Misek.

For one thing, the slope at each end of his Beverage design isn't superior
to bringing the wires straight down at 90°. In fact, it actually makes the
surge impedance between his Beverage and the earth vary.

I can't remember where, but I thought someone stated that his null steering
circuit wasn't any more effective at hearing the weak ones than an ordinary
Beverage.

The last two versions of Low Band DXing by ON4UN is a FAR better book. The
last version is the best. Published by the ARRL and sold online at arrl.org.
Just buy it. ;-)

73, Mike
W0BTU