Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 300 ohm twin lead for bidirectional Beverage antennas
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:27:32 -0800
I agree there is much F connector junk out there. However Amphenol does make a "4 hole" female F chassis jack, an excellent product. digikey usually has stock
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf/222146/ACX1545-ND/1989993

Unless one has the $250 D chassis punch for D cylindrical F females, it always seems tightening a coax to the recommended torque (15 in-lbs) leads to spinning the female in the chassis.

I found some Chinese knockoffs at half the price but the contact is so tight it bends the pins in crimp-on F connectors I use on RG179. The steel wire from RG6 CCS goes in ok.

I think the cost of a quality SO238 and PL259 might be in the same ballpark as the Amphenol plus commercial RG6 male sleeve.

Grant KZ1W