Re: Topband: Phasing lines

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Phasing lines
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 08:55:14 -0800
On 3/3/2020 8:32 AM, dj7ww@t-online.de wrote:
LCF 4-50 is relatively cheap here, I pay 2.80 Euro per meter for LDF4-50 and
4,84 Euro/m for  LCF78-50.

Yesterday, I picked up 100 ft of used LDF4-50 with three new connectors for $125. I won't use it on 160M.

It can be buried

So can Davis RF Buryflex, a lot less expensive.
and is resistant again mice and bird bites, no chance to be
drown and it is very well shielded.

Those are good reasons for using it, especially the first.

In the California mountains, I have many long runs of LDF5-50, Commscope 2726K, and Commscope CATV RG6 laying on the ground for ten years with no rodent damage. Hard line feeds HF and VHF antennas, 2726K feeds 160M TX antennas, CATV RG6 feeds RX antennas. Some of those RG6 runs are 400 ft long and have been there since 2006.

The RG6 I'm using for newer RX antennas is designed for direct burial, and has a flooding "goop" that rodents don't like.
The older RG6 that's been there since 2006 is ordinary indoor RG6.

I recently had rodent damage to the control lines for my SteppIR where it now runs under an enclosed deck, where rodents have probably moved in. Until the deck was added, that cable was not enclosed, and had been trouble-free since it was installed in 2009.

73, Jim K9YC