Re: Topband: No NA Activity

To: daraymond@iowatelecom.net, Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: No NA Activity
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 17:08:51 +0000
I was on around 0300 UT. I found condx to be pretty good. There was significant lightning QRN which made copy difficult on weak stations. I lost a DL2 or DK2 station for that reason.  I never did get the full call before he went away.  I worked DL8LAS with my TX turned down to 5 watts QRP.  He was peaking over S9!  I could not stay awake and quit before EU sunrise.  I tried calling D2EB in Angola at his sunrise, but could not get his attention. Many EU stations were also calling with not much luck. D2EB was only good copy at his sunrise.

I have been fighting a problem with my South beverage. For some reason it is picking up lots of signals even when the coax is disconnected at the far end at the transformer.   I have ferrite coax chokes and ground rods at each end, and it used to be fine, but now is all messed up. I checked the feedline for VSWR, and it looks terrible. I think a rodent has eaten it and common mode noise is entering it there.  I will have to wait for the snow and ice to melt.  That makes feedline #2 that has been destroyed this winter.   I  can still hear the VP8 dxpedition on it, but I think the pattern is messed up.

Dave K1WHS