Re: Topband: Inverted L with elevated radials for topband

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L with elevated radials for topband
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 16:21:54 -0800
On 3/5/2020 11:26 AM, Mike Waters wrote:
Many hams --including myself-- have had very good results using only a few
elevated radials.

Yes. One of the key factors is the height of the radials. N6BT, who has done a LOT of work with elevated radials on topband, told me that 18 ft is a minimum height. After my first tower (120 ft) was up, I had sloping wires rigged to points about 60 ft from the tower base, insulated from the tower and fed from the base against elevated radials. The tower has about ten on-ground radials to improves its performance as a reflector.

I had started out based on Rudy's early work with much lower elevation and wasn't satisfied with the result -- I had directivity, but the gain was poor. When I raised them to 18=20 ft (gull wing from about 3 ft at the feedpoint), I started seeing the few dB of gain that NEC predicted.

A few other important points. The ends of the radials are a high voltage point, so must be carefully insulated. Second, Rudy emphasizes that four elevated radials is a minimum, and twice that number is better. He also observes that they work better if current distribution between them is equal, that current distribution can be varied by variations in the soil underneath them, and that cutting them slightly shorter than a quarter wave minimizes those variations.

These are slides for a talk I've given about 160M antennas and counterpoise/radial systems, all based on good work by others.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC