Re: Topband: Inverted L with elevated radials for topband

To: "'Gabriel - EA6VQ'" <ea6vq_ml@dxmaps.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L with elevated radials for topband
From: pa5mw--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 21:13:56 +0100
Hi Gabriel,

There is too many variables in your antenna setup to determine the expected
impedance.

I have built and measured several inverted L's with/without elevated radials
and/or sloping top wires.
So I will refrain from putting out estimations, other than guesses from what I
learned during the last 30yrs.

What I do know:

Fact: an inverted L with 1/8 vertical and 1/8  straight  horizontal offers a
radiation resistance  Rs=18 Ohm. No more.

Fact:  Antenna impedance (Z)= Rs+Rg.   Rground refers to energy not radiated
but lost in the radials to ground.

Your Antenna Analyzer/VNA will offer at resonance (find the frequency at which
Xc=0) is Z.  You now have two unknown variables(Rs and Rg) and one measured
value Z

Fact: Z, SWR_usable_Bandwidth, Rground, Rs and any device to match it all to 50
Ohm are variables which can be a challenge. But don't sweat it.

Fact: making the vertical part higher v.s. sloping wire=> get the sloping wire
up. That is much more effective.

My experience:

- A straight horizontal L-part is just to about impossible; at 1/8 length any
wire will droop in the middle and lower Rs substantially. Spent two days
measuring just that when I had two 23m HD tubular towers.
-  A sloping single top wire quickly lowers the Rs. In your setup I would
expect it to be between 11 and 13 Ohm

- knowing that guestimated value; when your analyzer shows Z=40 Ohm SWR=great
at resonance (Xc=0) one can calculate the ground losses Rg=40-12=28Ohm. That
will be with 4 radials on ground probably. A nice SWR but effectivity is
12/40= 30%  the other 28/40-70% of the power goes into ground.

- Good SWR does not mean the antenna is 'really good'. But don't seat it,
sometimes you have limited options. And you have to start somewhere.

- Elevated radials: been there. 4 resonant elevated radials is possible, but
difficult to measure correctly such that all four behave similar. We had  them
at 4m height. Higher is better, more is better.

- If you lengthen the L-part so the total becomes 50 to 54m and tune out that
extra length using a series Cap at the feedpoint, you can raise the Z. We did
it with our 4 elevated radials and got a Z=34 Ohms which was nice to use a
W2FMI 32:50 Ohm transformer.

- Radials; put down about 30-50pcs with 25 to max 30m length.  Want to lower
Rground more effectively? Go to 120 radials at longer lengths, OR
-  Additionally put lengths of chicken wire directly under the vertical. Do not
try to make length in a start config like radials; instead just closely cover
straight lengths, make a square. It does not have to make electrical contact
(it will help a bit but not the effort worth). Been there, measured it.

- At a good setup you probably will have a Z= 12+15=27 Ohms  (there it is I did
make an estimation!) my point here:

- You will need a matching device / transformer (one toroid <500W, two or three
at 1K5) to get from the guestimation value to connect it to your 50 Ohms coax
feeder into the shack.

- There will be many other voices from other people having
less/similar/more/different experience.

My tips:

- Don't sweat it. At 1/8 vertical part, even with a sloping wire, one can make
a good signal. Even at some crooked elevated radials.

- Read Low Band Dx'ing by ON4UN; it tells you how to do it, both in KISS mode
as well as freaking nerd-mode. There will not be a great difference unless you
have the hardware AND lots of real estate.

- Use an antenna analyzer which shows Xc, Z and SWR; the cheapest Rig Expert or
any like is best in the field (no MFJ). I have had several different ones in
the past 20yrs.

- Use a portable VNA if you must, but only if you have the experience how to
use it. Or have someone come over to do that 😊.  No Smith chart crap; that's
for nerds and NOT effective in the field, unless you use smith charts on a
daily basis.

- Measure at the antenna, using a pigtail coax to about 0,5 to  1m length. Yes
one can measure it in the shack using professional network analyzers/ VNA's
etc.  when the feedline is properly calibrated out. Been there. A friend has a
large HP in his shack.  In the end we prefer that small but very practical Rig
Expert.

Happy experimenting!

73
 Mark, PA5MW