Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:17:23 +0000
Greetings all,
   George has some very pertinent points here and only on one point I will
disagree. What a Hi-Z amplifier needs to do is dependent on your aspirations of
the size and quantity of elements you decide to use. The combiner losses will
dictate what you must do at the element end of an array for an amplifier. Let
me clear one thing up. The YCCC amplifier is not a unity gain amplifier. It has
a 6 dB loss due to its output impedance of around 75 ohms. Thus the evolution
of what I called the +6 amps 6 or 7 years ago that indeed have unity gain and
still have a 75 ohm output impedance. A significant reduction in the noise
figure of an array with a lossy combiner.
   If ones aspirations are only to use a simple array like the YCCC then the
operational amplifier versions seem to fill the bill, but don't expect then to
apply the same amplifiers as you build arrays for higher and higher RDF. And,
there are much better amplifiers available to replace the 8055 if I remember
the YCCC part number correctly. The 8055 has like 4nV/root Hz noise while some
of the new ones get down to 1 nV/root Hz noise a very significant improvement.
   I could bore you all to distraction with other fine points that Hi-Z amps
need as specifications. It may not meet the eye but that is why performance
comes at a price.

Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas

Chris,
Assuming a trans-impedance amplifier, "unity gain" is enough (with reasonable
size elements). Noise and IP3 are far more important. Lightning and surge
immunity are also important. Also, isolate the amp from common mode noise
travelling on the feed-line. Filter the power supply well. Use an F connector
(a high quality one that can be torqued.) GL and 73, George, AA7JV/C6AGU