Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 22:16:52 -0700
On 3/11/2020 9:39 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
The signal components add coherently at the combiner output yielding a total signal voltage of 14.14 Volts rms. The noise voltages are incoherent, so they add as root-sum-square at the output of the combiner. This yields a total noise voltage of sqrt(0.707^2 + 0.707^2) = sqrt(1) = 1.0 Vrms. Thus, the combined noise voltage is unchanged, but the signal voltage goes up by sqrt(2).

This is also why averaging in measurement systems and spectral displays improves their signal to noise ratio. As the number of averages is increased, signal to noise increases using the same math as above. I set averaging on my P3 to the max, the noise averages out, adjust the display reference level so that the noise is at the bottom of the display, causing even the weakest carriers (or CW) to be seen above the noise (and as faint traces in the waterfall).

We used averaging extensively in pro audio measurement systems, beginning with Time Delay Spectrometry around 1982. Which, by the way, was invented about ten years earlier by the late Richard Heyser, was was at JPL at the time. In this AES Paper, I buried a TDS sweep in a music track at a level that was nearly inaudible and fed it through a popular broadcast audio processor to study it's dynamic frequency response at high levels of compression. The sweep was nearly inaudible, the the system was able to recover it by 64X averaging, combined with TDS's inherent noise rejection.

http://k9yc.com/AESPaper-TDS.pdf

73, Jim K9YC