Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hi Z amplifiers for 160m
From: Chris Moulding <chrism@crosscountrywireless.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:31:25 +0000
Thanks for all the very helpful replies and suggestions.

I'll change the BNC connector to a 4 hole F connector with 75 ohm output.

The design already has a 20 kA gas discharge tube and DC biased diode limiter for lightning and surge protection. It also has an optional (by internal link) diode limiter on the output so that it can be used by "weak" SDR receivers such as the SDRPlay RSP series that cannot take high RF levels.

I agree with the comment on adding a common mode choke on the coax output. The amplifier device I'm using has very low noise so it needs extra common mode isolation to allow use at very RF quiet locations.

I'm planning to take a trip to the nearest beach this weekend to try the prototype in a very low noise location.

73, Chris G4HYG