Re: Topband: Ground Conductivity

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Conductivity
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:48:29 -0700
FYI some data which I found interesting

My dry earth at end of summer to very wet winter (WWA) causes my lightning ground system DC (actually about 300Hz AC) resistance to vary about 40% lower, ie 7+ ohms to 5 ohms. There was also significant differences from rod to rod re resistance measurements.

How this affects RF properties is of course debatable but I do see a swr minimum shift of 10KHz or so on my T with 8 elevated radials.

One nearby expert (PhD ULF propagation) told me "acid rain washed out all the minerals here long ago. We have poor ground." If you really want to know the parameters, see antennasbyn6lf.com as Rudy describes techniques for ground RF properties measuring.

It is interesting to know the ground parameters, but what if you don't like them? Gain and peak angle are affected, but for 1/4wl antennas - T, L, or full ht aren't significantly differentially affected. For 160m, put up the tallest you can with the most number of ground radials or 6+ elevated radials. Much more on this on the N6LF web site.

For your flat open terrain place your yagis at heights for the arrival angles from geographies of interest to your QTH as shown in HFTA. Ground doesn't matter much.

Grant KZ1W