Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz)
From: Wayne <n7ng@bresnan.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 13:32:12 -0600
As a one-time broadcast engineer at a high power FM station, I believe whoever in responsible for performance will want to know what is happening --  management, not so much. Reports going back several years raise questions, though. A search says that CKTB is a 10K/5K day, night station.  Not a lot of power, but still problems can occur.

The people to talk to are the engineering staff or contract engineering people. They may not have engineering people on staff, depending on Industry Canada regulations. They will/should definitely want to know, however - unless CKTB doesn't pay promptly. Things like broken hardware, etc. in antenna structures come to mind, especially considering the reported sensitivity to wind. It's not a local problem if you're 400 miles away. Such faults can create spurs as well as modulation problems.

--N7NG

On 3/26/2020 1:00 PM, DXer wrote:
>>Maybe some of our two trillion dollar aid package can be sent to Canada. Perhaps a mere $100,000 would let them replace their troublesome guy wires with commercial grade Phillystran.

This pandemic is very serious business. I would not waste any money uselessly. Tragically, a lot more money than we can print will be needed after all is said and done.

As for CKTB, being so close to the border, it's likely covered by international treaty. A call to the FCC may be all that is needed on your side.

73 de Vince, VA3VF