Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 13:22:48 -0700
On 3/26/2020 12:32 PM, Wayne wrote:
Things like broken hardware, etc. in antenna structures come to mind, especially considering the reported sensitivity to wind.

AND -- not necessarily part of the station. Could be almost any junction of conductors of a length that forms a good RX and TX antenna. When I lived in Chicago, I regularly heard the second harmonic of 780 kHz 50kW WBBM, 18 miles from me.

It's also possible for IM to be generated in the output stage of nearby transmitters in the same frequency range. 50kW stations WGN, WMAQ, WJJD, and WCFL (some different calls today) are only 1.5 miles, 4.3 miles, 9 miles, and 12 miles from WBBM, respectively.

73, Jim K9YC