Re: Topband: CW Activity

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CW Activity
From: Rick Kunath via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 08:40:11 -0400
Roger,

Have you tried a LoG (Loop on Ground) receiving antenna? I have one here and it works wonders.

Info at this site: http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/

I built mine a bit larger but it's non-critical in construction. It worked wonders for me. It's also essentially invisible too.

I wanted to try this so I got my hands on a 500 foot roll of twisted pair doorbell wire cheaply. I paralleled the wires for the loop and wound up using the twisted pair as a feedline to the shack. I have a 9:1 balun at the shack end. All the wire is on the ground even the feedline. It was just a quick lash up, but it worked amazingly well. I refined the install after that, and experimented with different sizes too. My loop is about double the size mentioned in the article.

I was going to switch to coax buried feed and relocate the balun to the antenna end of the feedline, but it's been working so well I never got around to it.

It might be worth a try. There is a Facebook group on the antenna too.

Rick K9AO