Re: Topband: Cat5 as Feed Line.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Cat5 as Feed Line.
From: Mikek <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 08:20:47 -0500
Hi guys,
After describing what I had to a fellow ham, he noted I did not have an Isolation transformer at my radio. In a hurry I just connected the Cat5 to the radio input. (I'm sure many will say, no wonder you have feed line pick up.) I added a 100 ohm to 50 ohm transformer at the radio input and it made a difference. As a test I did terminate an unused pair in the antenna box with a 100 ohm resistor, and then used the 100 ohm to 50 ohm transformer at the radio, with that I only had three AM stations that moved the S meter needle vs the more than 37 I had without the isolation transformer. So my feed line now has little signal ingress. I can't yet say I have any F/B ratio on the antenna, but I expect that is frequency dependent. I do have a lot of static below 1000kHz, but S meter is zero above that. I'll turn off breakers later in the day to see if that is from my home.
Mikek KF4ITA