Re: Topband: Tesla Powerwall and RFI

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Tesla Powerwall and RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 21:30:38 -0700
On 5/18/2020 3:15 PM, Paul F. Merrill wrote:
Hi Group -

Does anyone have any experience with a Tesla Powerwall installation at
their QTH?  If you have, have you noticed any RFI from them?

Someone posted a link to this ham's blog, but now I can't find the post.

http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2017/12/does-tesla-powerwall-2-produce-rfi.html

http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2018/10/reducing-rfi-from-tesla-powerall-2.html

Anyhow, I went there and browsed it. There's a lot of good information there, but the author doesn't seem to understand the concept of saturation in the clamp-on ferrite parts that he places on individual conductors, nor the concept of a common mode choke applied to all three conductors, which eliminates saturation.

He observes that you've got to have an antenna right next to Powerwall wiring to hear it on any band above 160M, and it still isn't bad there, but that it gets increasingly problematic as you go down in frequency, and is pretty bad by the bottom of the AM broadcast band.

The problem he faces is that he needs a pretty large i.d. clamp to surround the three conductors (phase, phase, neutral), and #75 is the material he's chosen to work with. The largest clamp-on has a dimensional resonance around 750 kHz

https://www.fair-rite.com/product/round-cable-snap-its-475176451/

A possible solution would be to wind a suitable three-wire choke on one or more 2.4-in o.d. #75 toroids using a wire diameter sufficient to carry the current. In http://k9yc.com/630MTXChokes.pdf I showed the Z plot for 18 turns of RG400, which provides about 2.5K on 630M and 160M. Dimensional resonance is too high for #75 to be useful much below 300 kHz. Although I didn't publish measured data for a #12 Teflon pair, my recommendation for 630M was 17 turns.

Another observation. Santa Claus brought us a Model 3 (delivered a bit late on the afternoon of New Years Eve), and I sometimes charge it at home on a 20A 120V circuit. It's slow, but it works, AND I hear nothing from it on 160M when I probe along the short run of #10NM that feeds it. It is also my understanding that the increasing noise in the AM band is the reason there's no AM radio in Teslas. AND another observation -- the interior of that vehicle is very carefully shielded at some frequencies but not at others. My VHF/UHF talkie is useless inside the vehicle, suggesting that the glass is providing shielding. BUT -- my cell phone works fine inside, so that shielding is carefully tailored to couple cell frequencies.

And finally, the FM radio with it's antenna(s) in the Model 3 has excellent sensitivity. All of the stations I listen to are NPR stations, and I'm not in the service contour of any of them, so I really notice weak signal performance. The radio in my XYL's Prius is often hunting between digital and analog streams; not the Tesla -- it nearly always holds the digital streams as I drive up and down the mountain from home into town(s).

Note also his observations with respect to the solar part of the system, which I believe to be good advice. W6GJB has been doing some research of his own in preparation to building his own custom installation with off the shelf components.

73, Jim K9YC