Re: Topband: Tesla Powerwall and RFI

To: "Paul F. Merrill" <marinesvcs@gmail.com>, topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tesla Powerwall and RFI
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 07:22:19 -0400
I don't know about Tesla Powerwall in specific. And I don't know if you are
asking about solar-charged (as opposed to grid-charged) Tesla Powerwall but
likely you are.

Wiring solar panels to inverters (charging inverters or to-grid inverters)
can be done correctly - where the +/- pairs are kept close together - or it
can be done incorrectly where the power wires form a giant roof-sized loop.

When done correctly the near field radiation from the system's inverter is
kept very short range.

When done horribly incorrectly the far field radiation from the large loop
of wire on the roof can  actually become an effective far-field radiator on
HF.

The situation is remarkably similar to ECM HVAC equipment in that there is
a wide range of installers out there some of which find interesting
non-paired ways to run supply wires in giant radiating loops (a discussion
from Topband list several years ago when ECM motors started becoming
common).

Tim N3QE