Re: Topband: Common mode choking of beverages - which side of grounded s

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Common mode choking of beverages - which side of grounded shack entry panel?
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mark,

It can be very challenging to reduce common mode adequately to preserve
the directivity of low signal level antennas such as the YCCC 9 circle.
My preferred approach is to bury all cables interconnecting the amplifiers
at the base of each vertical and the phasing combiner/controller, and the
cables running from the shack to the phasing combiner/controller

As a minimum you should use the nine common mode chokes strongly
recommended in the YCCC 9 circle array users manual.

YMMV if you're QTH or nearby locations produces high level RFI.
My preferred approach is to kill all RFI at its source.

A peripherally related issue: Running DC power through the same coax cable
as low level RF signals is asking for trouble. There's a high risk of RFI
generating micro-arcing if any trace of water or moisture enters the
connectors.
If you must combine DC and RF into the same coax cable, you must
to stuff your connectors with silicone grease to eliminate all air gaps. Water
very easily migrates down the threads of CATV F-type connectors unless
the threads are also protected from water migration.

73
Frank
W3LPL