Topband: 160m Band opening phenomena

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Band opening phenomena
From: Robert Parkes via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:50:27 +0000 (UTC)
Band opening times.Roger G3YRO recent comments on band openings got me thinking
about my experiences many years ago:
Sunrise and Sunset band path propagation enhancement has been well reported
over many years to the point ITU  says it can be 6-10dBs.When operating from
tropical latitudes I used to find propagation was sometimes better 2-3 hour
before dawn rather than the conventional observation of enhancement that occurs
at/near sunrise/sunset at higher latitudes.I mentioned on this in a post back
in 1997 (
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/1999-11/msg00174.html ).
4X4NJ and A61AJ also commented that they had experienced much the same
phenomena.
I often wondered if it was local midnight at the centre of the path, (MAM
--Midnight At Midpath) -  my evidence is only circumstantial as it relied on me
being awake, near a rig; and, if and when the path opened at all which only
seemed to happen about 1 day in 5. ;-(
73sBobG3REP