Re: Topband: Oscillation in Narrow band tuned antenna.

To: Rune Øye <rune.e.oye@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Oscillation in Narrow band tuned antenna.
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:38:27 -0500
Rune,

"Out of the blue" output transistor failures have been happening in SS PA-s. There are lots of discussions of the possible reasons on the various forums, ranging form overdrive, thermal issues to transients in the output circuits, etc. Nobody knows for sure yet. One possible source is lightning or other high voltage discharge events, which could be made worse by a high Q antenna. Against that, you should have gas discharge (or spark-gap) protection devices on your feed-line. Otherwise, if your antenna is matched to the coax, the voltage on the coax should be determined by the power and the impedance of the coax (about 400 Vpeak at 1500 W on 50 Ohms). If the SWR is not 1:1 the voltage will be higher: about 800 Vp at infinite SWR. If your PA has a 12:1 output transformer, the transistors will see 67 V, which should be safe. "Narrowly resonant" antennas, when matched, just have narrower low SWR ranges. Think of the antenna (and matching circuit) as a transformer: It transforms the voltages and currents on the feed line into crazy high voltages (and zero currents) at the tips of the antenna. It is the PA driving the antenna, and not the other way around. The best protection is to cover everything: the sequencer you have installed will help by preventing hot-switching or switching transients. Lightning protection protects against much more than just direct hits. You should also have something that prevents overdriving your amp.
GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 12:13:25 +0100