Topband: Wednesday Night Activity

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wednesday Night Activity
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:15:32 -0500
I managed to get on 160  CW starting at 05:30 UT and figured I might catch a few early risers on the "Continent".   I was quite surprised at the level of activity. I did not hear many stateside callers, but I was busy for a few hours up until just about Sunrise in Europe. No exotic DX worked, but I managed a number of contacts with new stations for me.  As I was getting close to EU Sunrise, I also got a call from ZL1AZ. He was good copy on my Europe beverage wire, and was 579 when I picked a wire that was aimed the other way.  He peaked at 290 degrees, so the path was skewed northward a bit.

I tried a little FT8 near EU Sunrise and set power at 5 watts. I worked two stations in Spain. That was not much fun, so back on CW after only a few minutes, and worked a few more in Britain, Norway and Sweden as daylight was spreading across the mainland.  I managed to not work G3YRO, but I wanted to let him know that I did make an appearance on the Wednesday Activity Night!  I had lots of QRN nearby, which made copy poor as I would miss several letters at a time. I am also finding that my CW is getting worse as my hands suffer from tremors. It is starting to ruin my already bad fist!!

73

Dave K1WHS