Topband: Wednesday Night Activity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wednesday Night Activity
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 18:59:46 -0000
Well conditions had been pretty good all week up to Wednesday . . . I had
plenty of QSOs right across the US, and was getting NA RBN S/N reports
between +30 to 40dB, which is as good as it gets.

However on Wednesday night I came on the band around 0000Z, but saw that my
RBN reports were way down - I figured this was likely to be due to QRN
rather than propagation. So I didn't stay on very long. I tried again around
0300, but it was much the same.

Incidentally, as I have mentioned previously, there always used to be a big
peak on 160m signals around our Sunrise . . . but I find the reverse is true
these days. Best reports from across North America are around 00.30 for me .
. . signals drop off at least 10dB as you get near our Sunrise. (and I've
noticed the same on receive, listening to lots of stations during the
contests). So I rarely bother coming back on at Sunrise.

Anyway, hopefully there will be lots of activity next Wednesday night.

Happy New Year to everyone !

73 Roger G3YRO