Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:29:07 -0500
I recently installed a K9AY loop (with the Array Solutions controller), and have a couple of questions.  Installation is pretty standard, with a fiberglass pole at the center, ground rod at its base, and on the ground radials under each direction of the loop.

The antenna is directional, as demonstrated by tuning in broadcast stations at the high end of the AM band and separating stations on the same frequency so that I can hear one or the other.  Atmospheric noise is 1-2 S units more on my inverted L than on the K9AY antenna, but signal strengths of stations in the favored direction of the loop seem about the same or a bit lower than the inverted L.  The Termination adjustment is working, to judge by the switching transients, but seems to make little or no difference.

How do these results compare with others' experience?  I didn't expect a "magic bullet", but the K9AY loop seems a little bit underwhelming.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.