Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Loop Questions
From: Cecil acuff <chacuff@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:01:01 -0600
Hi Pete,

I built one several years back and my results were much like you describe.

I have tried several different RX antennas and for some reason on this lot none
have heard significantly better than my Inverted L.

All have been separated from the L by 250’.

I’ve also had the Array Solutions SAL-30 and a couple BOG installations to no
avail.  Currently have a DX Engineering loop @ 30’ and it’s a marginal
improvement at times.

No longer have the L up as I’m testing a half sloper for 160, 80 and 40/30.

Not sure what I’m missing because these things work for other folks.

My noise level here is fairly low..S1-2 on 160 at night but I have little luck
hearing Europe.

I’ve used the Hi-Z 4 element at our club station during 160 contests and it
works great!  Night and day difference between RX antenna and listening on TX
antenna. Can’t hear a thing on TX antenna but the world opens up when using the
RX antenna.

Can’t duplicate that at home. Have no room for the HI-Z at home either.

I’m on a 150’ x 450’ lot with a 60’ tower.

Hope you find the magic fix.

Cecil
K5DL

Sent from my iPad