Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?
From: "jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 09:41:55 -0800
Has anybody tried using a simple series L-C to notch out ONE offending AM
broadcast station ?  I'm talking about wiring from hot side of coax...to
chassis / ground....like via a T connector etc.

On paper, it should work. Did some minor research, and one comment was that
by using higher values of L would result in  higher Q..and a deeper notch.
Another comment stated to use some initial values, like what spits out on a
L-C  online calculator for practical values..... then  multiply one value
by the other...then take the square root of the result.   Then you ended up
with 2 x numerically equal values of L + C..... and supposedly the greatest
notch depth.

On software, I tried several values..from one extreme to the other, and
they all resonate on the same freq.   Also tried in software,  using 2 x
numerically same values..and it too, also resonates on the same freq.

The rationale behind all of this is... in some cases, there is only one
offending AM broadcast station.  Typ  HP  filters offer little rejection
towards the top end of the AM broadcast band..... like  1200-1710 khz.

I would like to try it, but am still confused as to which combo (using
practical values) will result in the deepest notch.  It would have to be
wide enough to remove the 20 khz wide AM signal.  A fixed coil + variable
cap, or padded variable cap could be used to fine tune the notch freq.

Perhaps   2 or more LC filters could be used in parallel, to notch out 2 or
more offending stations ?

Jim   VE7RF