Re: Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Series LC to notch AM broadcast ?
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:55:08 -0600
The secret to using this sort of solution is to apply just enough of it to kill off the mixing products that are the result.  The good news is that you get (generally speaking) a 3:1 payback - so 1 db attenuation of the BC station will knock the mixing product down by 3 dB.  So 45 dB (as the article provides) is not needed to get meaningful mitigation.

The L/C ratio does set the Q of the notch.  And a series R can cut down on the notch depth, as well as reducing the SWR impact. There is a balancing act between these factors but generally the highest Q, and maximum R combo that is stable enough over the temp range, will do the job.

Have fun!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com