Re: Topband: Personal decision

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Personal decision
From: <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 11:25:00 -0600
Tree,

Excellent post! You are the voice of reason.

73,
Marsh, KA5M

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 7:17 AM Tree <tree@kkn.net> wrote:

Guys - I need to step in here.

This is not what ham radio people do.

The Russian ham that you are pretending to punish is not the person
responsible for what is happening in Ukraine.

Think about the situation if you were a USA ham - and some other ham
decided not to work you because they did not like the decisions
someone in Washington had made.

Throughout my ham career - I have enjoyed the opportunity to meet
people in places that I was taught were bad places and become to
understand that they were people just like me - and were perhaps more
helpless to control their government than I can control mine.

We all have worked Russians over the years - and I bet almost everyone
here would be in the pileup if a station from North Korea came on the air.

I will always feel the best hope for humanity is to get to know each
other and understand each other's situation better and have some understanding.
Ham radio is one way to break down the political barriers and get to
know real people.

I have kind of felt sorry for the stations currently using D1 as a
prefix.  They are just pawns in a chess game and through no fault of
their own, ended up in a situation where they couldn't get a license.
They came up with a work around that allowed them to get on the air.
If I was in their situation, I would probably do the same thing.

If Vladimir Putin were a ham, I could understand you deciding not to
work him - but let's not pretend our friends who we have been working
over the years are responsible.

I will not tolerate anything less from the members of this list.

73 Tree N6TR