Re: Topband: VE6WZ QSO

To: Andree DL8LAS <dl8las@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VE6WZ QSO
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 09:57:46 -0700
Very FB ears Andy.  That EF Beverage array is working well.
You were also very weak, but just enough of a short QSB peak for the QSO.
I was RX via the direct polar path on the Beverage array and 9 C in diversity.

As others have said, the condx this season have been very poor for the
trans-polar path to EU.
For example, I did a log extract for my 160m QSOs for the 4 months starting in
August for the last three years:

In 2020 at this point I had logged 766 EU QSOs with 240 unique calls.
In 2021 (last year) I had logged 341 EU QSOs with 117 uniques.
And this season for the same 4 month period I have only managed 14 EU QSOs,
with 10 uniques!
Those strong and sometimes stable openings like we had in 2020 and 2021 are
very rare during this solar uptick.

The band can still open up over the pole, but it can be fleeting, usually weak
and even more un-predictable than when the geo-mag is cooler.
The Asia and VK-ZL path has remained open most mornings, sometimes with strong
signals.

Here is a list of the EU from my log this winter:

DF2UU-  1
DL8LAS- 1
F4HEC-  1
F5IN-   2