Re: Topband: ARRL 160

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160
From: W7TMT - Patrick <W7TMT@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 16:13:18 +0000
Based on my experience with my own call sign I would beg to differ.

When I was looking to change calls because the previous one was busted so
frequently I stumbled on an unused call that seemed to have a nice rhythm to it
and no pesky dits/dots to get lost in the ether. As soon as I started using it
I noticed that vast majority of people sending it manually seemed to
automatically add a half space between the suffix characters. The letters TMT
just seem to beg for that rhythm. In every contest I hear the same thing, an
exaggerated spacing between the letters and I know the op is sending manually.

With a straight TMT about the only bust I usually get is "TQ". Adding the half
space significantly reduces that occurrence. When I tried adding a half space
on my CQ message I found that the Skimmers often logged it as W7TM and lost the
last T. Changing the message to W7TMT W7T~M~T solves both problems.

I suspect there are other character combinations with similar issues.

73
Patrick, W7TMT