Re: Topband: Noise investigation by FCC? (was: Re: ARRL 160)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise investigation by FCC? (was: Re: ARRL 160)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:18:50 -0800
Rick,

If it's impulse noise, or acts like it at VHF, I chase it with the VHF/UHF mobile rig and talkie that also have wide-band RX. I've programmed memories both in rigs for AM on 160 MHz, and 3-4 frequencies stepping above that up to around 550 MHz. I drive around listening to 160 MHz, then shift up in frequency as it gets louder. When it gets really loud, I get out of the car with the talkie, holding it very close to my chest to give it half-space directivity, and when I think I've zeroed in on it, I remove the duck.

73, Jim K9YC