Re: Topband: Sanity Check on K9AY Loop Sensitivity

To: topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Sanity Check on K9AY Loop Sensitivity
From: Frank Donovan <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:55:13 -0500 (EST)
Hi Pete -

What version of the K9AY components are you using (e.g., original
K9AY, Array Solutions, etc) ? Some versions incorporate broadcast band
filters or switchable bandpass filters. Could that be your problem?

Once you get your loop antenna going you might consider experimenting
with alternative loop configurations for improved performance. For example,
the VE3DO loop has excellent reviews. K3LR is a big proponent of
VE3DO loops.

[ https://www.ok1rr.com/index.php/antennas/8-the-ve3do-receiving-loop |
https://www.ok1rr.com/index.php/antennas/8-the-ve3do-receiving-loop ]

[ http://audiosystemsgroup.com/VE3DO.pdf |
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/VE3DO.pdf ]

Because of their very low signal levels, to achieve desired performance
all small loop antennas require serious attention to common mode current
suppression and a very low noise figure preamp Some commercial
components for small loop antennas include effective common mode
suppression and preamp noise figure of 2 dB or less.
But others --- not so much ---

73
Frank
W3LPL