Re: Topband: Antennas and saltwater

To: W7TMT - Patrick <w7tmt@outlook.com>, "kq2m@kq2m.com" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antennas and saltwater
From: "jh-mty@sbcglobal.net" <jh-mty@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 05:28:21 +0000 (UTC)
 I am an avid /M op, including on 160, quite active on 30M and higher WARC
bands.  I lived in Monterey, CA for around 10 years and visited monthly for
several more after that.  One of the greatest attractions of the beautiful
Monterey area was the Monterey Commercial Pier...a long, elevated pier with
buildings and fishing boat dock improvements, along with a wonderful view.
None of the touristy advertisements for the "Fishermen's Wharf" attractions
mentioned that the elevation pattern of a "loaded" mobile hamstick vertical
antenna mounted high up on a metal van hatchback lid 18 feet over 20' deep salt
water with downsloping, sandy bottom leading to near-field abyssopelagic depths
would produce peak gain at 18 degrees or less elevation.  The coveted "Brewster
angle." As Frank, W3LPL, observed in this thread:  "Radials cover a very small
fraction of the very large reflection zone (Fresnel zone) that produces low
angle radiation.  A vertical over a salt marsh or within about a wavelength of
salt water will produce 6 dB or more of gain at low angles compared to a
vertical with poorly conducting soil in its reflection zone."
On that wharf, I worked maybe 100 rare countries on 40, 30, 20, and WARC bands
competing with landlocked, high-power stations with major beams and low-band
wire arrays.  Worked VQ9 and other Indian Ocean countries on the antipode, FR7,
lots of southern African stations on 30M and 20M, and even some EU on 40M
phone.  Heard most continents on 160M including EU, but couldn't work many
countries on top band with my  low power 100W IC-706MIIG (got some Central
America, Oceana, Alaska, east coast US and Canada, etc.).
I took some friends on the ride to the wharf hearing very little over the land,
but an entire unheard world opened up when driving over the ocean on the wharf,
with signal strengths building on the wharf approach and peaking as the water
depth underneath increased.  I do miss that wharf and will return QRV when I
visit the Peninsula.
John W6UQZ

    On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 04:18:48 PM PST, kq2m@kq2m.com