Re: Topband: Antennas and saltwater

To: Bjorn SM0MDG <bjorn@sm0mdg.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antennas and saltwater
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:13:16 -0600

Björn,

I would like to see your picture if you could send it to me.  You are always
strong on 160 and now we know why.

For the verticals I have put up on a temporary basis very close to the water, I
am pleased with just two elevated radials.  I tried radials on the ground and
in the water but as you and others have said, everything changes with the tide
and when the waves get big.

If anyone had a protected area to eliminate the waves and then something that
would float with copper sheeting on the bottom, that would be great!  My
permanent antenna, a shunt fed tower, is not as close to the water (about 70
feet away) and I try to have a reasonably good ground radial system although
they are confined to 180 degrees since that tower is very near my property
line.

A salt water location makes it easy to have a big signal with a relatively
simple antenna.  Of course it also causes some corrosion and weatherproofing
challenges that stations inland don’t have to worry about so much.  Given a
choice, I’ll take the salty water.

73… Stan, ZF9CW