Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX S

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX SPOILER
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 20:34:56 -0800
On 12/23/2022 8:12 PM, n4is@comcast.net wrote:
I missed the second question.

I understand Wes's point quite well. I have friends who operate 6M from very remote places where there is no local noise to light up rare grids. They're rare because no one lives there to create noise.

The vast majority of active hams are surrounded by a LOT of noise generated by electronics in their own homes and those of their neighbors, as well from power lines, street lighting, and other sources. WE are the ones who most need serious RX antennas (and also to devote our energies to killing as much as possible of our noise at the source).

The difference in local noise between what WE hear and what the DX hears can easily be 20 dB.

What Wes may be missing is that the DX may be hearing stations from multiple directions, callers from areas with easy prop to them may be MUCH stronger than callers from areas that must be worked under exactly the right conditions and for rather short time windows, and that those loud callers may have a tendency to not stop calling. :) THAT'S where serious RX antennas can help at the DX location.

And as both Wes and I have observed, great system engineering involves devising systems to solve specific problems. One size never fits all.

73, Jim K9YC