Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Verticals on the beach
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:53:27 -0800
My experience with two elevated resonant radials near (0.1 to 0.2 wavelengths) the tide line has been very positive during 4 DXpeditions. The coverage is almost 180 degrees in the direction of the salt water parallel to the tide line. The results are very good for verticals less than 0.5 wavelengths from the water and some improvement as far as 1 wavelength.

There is more data in my QST article of June 2016 "Verticals on the Beach — Some Modeling Results".

It's important to remember that while salt water has a huge benefit in the far field it is still a lossy medium and as noted has very large attenuation with depth. Copper has 10,000,000 greater conductivity than salt water and air is an extremely low loss medium. So just 2 elevated radials "on the beach" are real winners and there should be no ground connection or on ground radials.

For top band the radials can be shortened 50% with a single loading coil which if well constructed might cause a <db increase in loss while achieving a very low angle peak signal with 4 to 5 db of pattern gain.

Grant KZ1W